In order to post to the forums, please login or register.

AuthorPosts
Randy Hanzlick Posted: 11/26/2015 6:04:12 AM
Subject:Dock Requirements and Restrictions

It would appear that there is some restriction on allowing home owners on Lake Murray from having covered docks, as I have not seen any on the lake. Is this true?  
Thanks,
R Hanzlick 

smitty Posted: 12/2/2015 5:37:12 PM

You are correct. SCE&G does not allow covered dock below the 360' level (high water level. Most docks are constructed at or below this level on Lake Murray. Covered docks can be built above this level on your property.

Randy Hanzlick Posted: 12/7/2015 11:26:44 AM

...But that would mean that a "covered dock" would essentially be a place to store your boat when you take it out of the water. Seems yo impose some significant limitations for people who want to keep a boat in year around and who boat frequently.  It means you have to keep you boat exposed to the weather or put a cover on it regularly, which is a pain on some types of boats. Any suggestions or comments? 
Thanks,
RH 

smitty Posted: 12/8/2015 5:50:13 PM

Randy, Sorry that is correct. I think the main reason is that it prevents your neighbor(s) from building a covered dock and obstructing your view of the lake. I really do not even like SCE&G allowing boat lifts. I owning a waterfront home on Lake Murray and the unobstructed waterfront view is what I was hopefully purchasing for the long term. I had much rather cover my boat, than look at a bunch of covered docks along the shoreline.

Randy Hanzlick Posted: 12/10/2015 6:06:09 AM

Thanks much, Smitty. I completely understand. I guess what it means is if you keep a boat on the lake all the time, one just has to plan to replace or repair the boat more frequently because exposure to weather will shorten the boat's life. 
Randy 

smitty Posted: 12/11/2015 8:15:16 AM

Maybe so Randy. I have a 2001 pontoon which has remained on the water covered/uncovered (seat covers) every summer for the past 14 years. I usually remove it from the water each winter in (November-December)and cover with tarp until Spring. I am amazed at just how well the newer type vinyl can hold up with minimal care. Not using Clorox bleach that destroys the nylon stitching seems to also help. Anyway I am hoping to get one more year before recovering everything.