In order to post to the forums, please login or register.

AuthorPosts
Ronnie Posted: 12/6/2008 3:09:12 PM
Subject:Lake Murray water Level

Wwe're interested in buying property on Lake Murray but wondered, since it's managed by an electric company, if there are times during the year when the Lake Murray water level is significantly lower, i.e. docked boats may actually be sitting in mud.  Could you give me some insight on that subject?

lakegirlz Posted: 12/10/2008 2:01:13 PM

Hi Ronnie,
in years past they have lowered the water levels in the winter. it would greatly depend on how deep the water is at your dock, for instance we can dock a boat with no problems, however, our neighbor-who's further back in the cove-cannot, his boat would be in the mud. hope that helps and good luck on your search

Mark Posted: 12/17/2008 7:47:48 AM

The lake normally runs between 354" and 359". 354' is normally Dec-Mar and 359 is Jun-Jul. The 354 can turn into 352 if there is a lack of rain and water coming in from the rivers as it did this past winter. The lake starts back up in Mar-Apr from the low and begins going down in late July.

They had it lowered for several years during the repair of the dam but that is finished. 354-360' are the published lows and highs.

Check the water height in this web site and then get a good tape measure and measue the water height at your proposed  dock and the math is simple.

Ronnie Posted: 1/2/2009 3:03:56 PM

Thanks to lakegirlz and Mark for your responses...that info gives us great information to work with!  Happy New Year to all.

Papafatwood Posted: 4/20/2015 5:16:49 AM

Now, April 2015, the lake is UP and about 2 feet bp (below full pool) which means tis almost to the magical 360 feet above sea level that engineer
Murray saw when looking at a topo map...

It ususally is 3 to 5 feet below but can and has gone to
__2013_ 10 foot below which means some coves and areas will be
dry and boats will be sitting on first mud and then dry land
__couple years ago when they had to build a new damn it was 15 feet
bp and whole coves were returned to the stream beds and meadows they
were in the 1920s....

So don't be suprised WHEN---not IF---SCE/G pulls the level way down...
enjoy the UPs while you can...even the drawdowns are scenic btw but
NOT as much fun...IMHO

Papafatwood Posted: 4/20/2015 5:21:25 AM

QUESTION: how many times, if ever, has Lake Murray reached the 
full pool level of 360?

It has come close a couple of times in these last 30 years and is now
a wonderful 1.74 or so bp...

Where do I find this info?

One site on here has a wonderful interactive chart that shows lake levels
for the past couple of years but what is the record all the way back to 
1929 was it....

I will go find such site again and post it here one of these days:

How many times LM up to 360 or almost or even above?  I am trying to find my notes on one year when it was way up to if not above said 360 markers you find as metal stakes near your property edges and especially on lots to
be sold b4 the orange plastic tape wears away...

rw Posted: 9/5/2015 7:53:27 AM

Is there a place to find what the highest water levels have been since the dam was built? We are looking at a piece of land supposedly in a floodplain partially in the "360"??? Does anyone know how much flood insurance costs for a house on the lake?